Multiple domain web hosting is a type of hosting plan where webmasters can host more than one domain within the same account. Previously, domain owners with multiple sites would have to purchase many different hosting accounts to serve each website.
Today, multiple domain web hosting can be done simply by using a reseller or multiple domain hosting plans.
Reseller web hosting
Reseller hosting accounts are purchased not only by resellers—those wishing to resell
their own hosting plans—but also by webmasters interested in sharing resources and
money. When you invest in a reseller webhosting plan, you’re given access to a control
panel which lets you easily add domains to your reseller’s account. From the master
account, you can monitor website traffic, assign IP addresses to individual domains,
and oversee each domain.
The advantages to a reseller hosting account include:
- High level of control over each domain
- Ability to assign IP addresses to domains (without having to go through your webhost).
- Individual control panels for each domain
- Unlimited amount of domains may be added to one account, provided you have an appropriate
amount of resources like space and bandwidth.
Reseller accounts are ideal for webmasters with many small sites they need to oversee
on a daily basis. However, there are some disadvantages to opting for a reseller
- Domains must be accessed from separate control panels. If you deal with several
sites daily, you’ll need to log in to each domain control panel individually.
- Can be more expensive than going with a multiple domain hosting account
Multiple domain hosting
With a multiple domain hosting plan, one of your domains will serve as the primary
domain. For example, when I sign up for an account, I’ll give my new host only one
domain name to setup for me. In this case, let’s say I sign up using TopLevelDomain.com.
Once the host has added my domain to the server, I’ll be given log in details for
TopLevelDomain.com. From there, I can add additional domains to my account through
a webhosting control panel. Some hosts allow only a limited amount of domains to
be added to a multiple domain hosting plan and with others, you may add as many
as you like.
Advantages to a multiple domain hosting plan include:
- Cheaper than a reseller hosting plan
- All domains are managed in one central location
While multiple domain hosting is perfect for many, there are some disadvantages:
- Less control over domains than with a reseller account. If you want to add an IP
address or special feature, you’ll need to contact your webhost and wait for them
to take care of it for you.
- Can be challenging to manage multiple domains within one control panel.
Is multiple domain hosting for you?
Multiple domain hosting plans—either in the form of a reseller account or a large
hosting plan with multiple domain hosting capabilities are an excellent solution
for webmasters looking to simplify their schedule and budget, and to have a central
location to manage all of their domains. The overall advantages and disadvantages
to choosing either hosting plan are as follows:
- Easy maintenance
- Cheaper than investing in separate hosting plans
- Better control
- Dependant on one network. If your server goes down, it takes all of your domains
down at once.
For most, the benefits of multiple domain hosting are many. To find out more about
the power of multiple domain web hosting, contact your web host or find a new one
using our expert reviews